- CARBON MONOXIDE (CO) POISONING
- Ref.: MotorHome Magazine, July 1992
- The following information is provided to alert the workforce about the dangers of carbon
monoxide poisoning. It is especially targeted at the Public Works and Building 850
employees. The problems with your exposure to exhaust fumes in the Public Works
Transportation building and Building 850 is of major concern to the I.F.P.T.E.
- The symptoms are: headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, drowsiness, heart
palpitations, CO induced heart attacks.
- About 5,000 to 10,000 deaths per year are caused by CO poisoning. About 200,000 people
per year suffer CO induced heart attacks. About 25 million people per year suffer ailments
caused by CO poisoning that are misdiagnosed as flu, motion sickness, food poisoning or
some other disease.
- Exposure to 200 ppm of CO for 1 hour will result in a slight headache. Exposure to 200
ppm of CO for 3 hour will result in drowsiness.
- The I.F.P.T.E is taking positive action to stop and prevent carbon monoxide exposure.
Several complaints have been made to the OSHA office. Requests have been made of the OSHA
office for reports on the exposure levels in the affected areas. The I.F.P.T.E. is
proposing that no vehicles be allowed to park under Building 850 until the air intakes are
moved from the overhead of the lower Building 850 parking area to a clean air source.
- The I.F.P.T.E is working to provide you with a safe and healthy workplace. You have the
right to file claims with the Labor Department for any illness or disease caused by CO
poisoning. Call this office (476-4334) for information and help to file a claim.